East Ryde, NSW, located in the Northern Sydney area 12 km north-west of Sydney CBD and in the City of Ryde’s local government area. East Ryde is located on the Lane Cove River’s western bank. East Ryde shares the 2113 postcode with North Ryde, an adjacent suburb.
East Ryde is a quiet suburb that’s surrounded by bushland, water and trees on three sides. East Ryde is mainly situated on the top of a ridge. This was once a council rubbish tip. The area is known as Dress Circle Estate. It was created by Hooker Rex in 1960. Large, modern homes are characteristic of East Ryde’s areas along the Lane Cove River banks. They overlook the mangrove wetlands, along Pittwater Road. The entire area was once an ironbark-turpentine forest.
East Ryde is bound by Cressy Road and Coxs Road. It also bordered the Lane Cove River, Strangers Creek and Buffalo Creek. It was once part of the Field of Mars Common. The first land sale for the subdivision took place in September 1885. It included lots around Kittys Creek as well as today’s East Ryde. However, East Ryde didn’t have a distinct suburb name at that time – it was part North Ryde.
Hooker Rex kept the Dress Circle Estate’s original name and named the streets after a theatrical theme. The street names of East Ryde are dedicated to some of Australia’s greatest screen and stage stars. The street names of East Ryde are dedicated to the memory of opera singers June Bronhill and Ronald Dowd, as well as Dame Nellie Melba and prima ballerina Peggy Sager. Heard Street, originally called Rene Street, was named after Henry Heard who was a settler in 1858 as well as an alderman on 1871’s Ryde Council. Mary Avenue, now Elliott Avenue, was named after Henry’s wife Mary Jane Heard. Twin Road (formerly Bridge Road) was named after Henry’s twin daughters Laura, and Mabel.
Alderman ELS Hall, the Mayor of Ryde, unveiled a plaque and a drinking fountain in the reserve at the shopping centre on 1 October 1960 to commemorate the development of 500 homes sites and the construction of 250 modern homes on Dress Circle Estate.
Ryde East Public Schools was established in 1961 in response to the increasing population. Finch Avenue was extended into rezoned Crown land between Moncrieff Drive and Stranger’s Creek in 1970, creating another 20 homesites. Covenants were established to control the quality and type of the houses that could be built on the estate. Instead of being one-sixth an acre (650 m2), the blocks were one-sixth an acre (1,250 m2). These blocks were large enough to accommodate single dwellings (the only type permitted under the covenant), and not multiple dwellings.
Ryde East Primary School, which has 350 students, is located at Twin Road.
Heatley Reserve is located in the East Ryde Shopping Centre complex. It’s named after Ernest William Heatley who was the former owner and operator the nearby newsagency. He was killed in an attempted robbery in July 1983.
Brereton Park is bordered by Melba Drive and Bronhill Avenue. It was named after John Le Gay Brereton.