Denistone NSW is located in Northern Sydney, 16 kilometres west of Sydney’s central business district, in the City of Ryde’s local government area. Denistone West is distinct from Denistone East. Denistone is part of the Ryde state electorate.
The area between Parramatta River and Lane Cove River was home to the Wallumedegal Aboriginal tribe, also known as Walumetta. Gregory Blaxland was a free settler who purchased Brush Farm’s 182.1-hectare (450-acres) estate in 1806, just after he arrived in the colony. The estate covered the majority of the area from Terry Road to Victoria Road, Tramway Street and Tramway street to east and Brush Road to Shaftsbury Road. Blaxland, his oldest daughter Elizabeth and Dr Thomas Forster, transferred Brush Farm Estate in 1829 to them. Forster purchased the Porteous Mount grants, 48.6 hectares (120 acre) on Denistone Ridge in 1830. Denistone was named for Forster’s “Dennistone” home, which was destroyed by bushfires 1855. Richard Rouse Terry purchased the land from Blaxlands in 1872. He rebuilt Denistone House on the grounds of Ryde Hospital. Denistone House was the center of the estate. It was a late subdivision that was not open for sale until 1913. The Hermitage, Gregory Blaxland’s son and built in 1842 by John Blaxland.
Denistone railway station can be found on the Main Northern railway line, part of the Sydney Trains network. Denistone is a residential area that does not have an immediate commercial hub. The railway station is its central point, built in 1937 and extending to Darvall Park.
Darvall Park flora includes Sydney blue, red olive berry and orange bark. Waddy wood is also available. Large areas of Darvall Park remain heavily infested despite thirty years of bush restoration. Privet and Chinese privet, Madeira vine, lantana, Madeira vines, taro, and trad are all examples. Sometimes, the ringtail possum and Australian king parrot can be seen here
Denistone had 3,751 inhabitants at the 2016 census, 58% born in Australia, 12 % in China. Of the private dwellings occupied, 84% were detached houses, and 16% were semi-detached.