Camellia is 17 km (11 mi) to the west of Sydney’s central business district, in the local government area of Parramatta. The suburb is bordered by the Parramatta River and Clay Cliff Creek to its north, Duck River to the west, and Grand Avenue to its south. Grand Avenue (east to west) and James Ruse Drive, (north to south), are the major roads that divide the suburb. Camellia is a post-industrial area. It was established in late 2015. The area is known for its high density and brownfields remediation.
Camellia shares 2142 as its postcode with Granville South Granville Holroyd, Rosehill, Holroyd, and Holroyd.
The Burramattagal clan was an indigenous group that lived in this region. They relied on the abundance of fish, shellfish and bird life reptiles that used to be found in the waters and forests surrounding the Parramatta River and Clay Cliff Creek freshwaters.
Governor Arthur Phillip, his officers and marines traveled inland from Sydney Cove on 22 April 1788 to search for better farmlands for their new settlement. They arrived at the mouth of a navigable stream near Clyde. He named it Duck River because of the large number of ducks that lived in the area. The boatmen left the area to explore but were unable to penetrate the dense bush. They moved on to Clay Cliff Creek where they found fresh water and decided to camp.
Clay Cliff Creek was the common border of land grants to John Macarthur, a pioneer in wool production. He extended his land grants and Elizabeth Farm holdings by the 1800s to acquire the entire river frontage between Parramatta and Duck River.
Subiaco was originally the name of the railway station which opened here in 1885. However, confusion arose because it was also the name of the Benedictine school located on the other side of Parramatta River. Camellia was adopted as the station’s name in 1901. It is named after the Camellia Grove Nursery, which specialized in growing camellias. Silas Sheather leased this land, which was once part of Elizabeth Farm’s 850 acres (3.4 km2), since 1852.
Camellia, NSW is a predominantly industrial and commercial area. Aldi has a supermarket in an office block near the railway station. This was the site where Bernie Banton used to work at the James Hardie asbestos plant.
As part of Parramatta Light Rail Project 2015, a conversion of the Carlingford-to-Camellia section on the Carlingford railway line and a portion of the Sandown line into light rail was announced. The second line will connect with the Carlingford line at Camellia or Rydalmere, before they both go to Westmead. It will be from Sydney Olympic Park.
Camellia-Rosehill has the potential to become an exciting hub, with more opportunities for the creation jobs, housing, entertainment and open space.