Granville is located in Sydney’s western suburbs, in New South Wales. Granville, NSW is 18 km (11 mi) west of Sydney’s central business district. It is divided between the Cumberland City Council local government area and the City of Parramatta.
South Granville is an independent suburb. Granville and South Granville are roughly separated by Redfern, Heath, Lisgar and Mona Streets. To the east, Auburn is bordered by Duck River.
Granville had 13,989 inhabitants at the 2011 census. Over half of the population was born outside Australia. The top three countries of origin were China, India, and Lebanon. Three quarters of all people speak a language other that English at home. Granville had a mix of detached homes and apartments.
The Granville area was originally known as Parramatta Junction in 1855. It was named after the last stop on the first railway line through New South Wales. The Sydney-Parramatta Line ran south from the Central railway station, to the Granville area. It was originally called ‘Parramatta Junction’. This area was developed, which attracted speculators as well as some local industries.
Timber was used to power the steam engines of Sydney and Parramatta in the early days after European settlement. The timber supply was exhausted by the 1860s. Wattle bark was used by tanners, and stringybark bark was used to roof huts. Drainville, a large estate, was sold to a mortgagee in 1862. It was subdivided into villa homes and small agricultures. The establishment of a Tweed Mill, powered by steam and water from the Duck River, was completed at the end the decade. The locality was granted its own post office in 1878. It was then part the stationmasters house.
The name “Parramatta Junction” remained unchanged until 1880 when two public meetings voted to change the name. Granville was chosen in honor of the British Foreign Secretary, Granville Leveson Gower, 2nd Earl Granville.
The land was unsuitable for such agriculture. Farmers discovered more limitations in the soil and fruit growers complained about flying fox damage. The only practical use of the grasslands, which were created from the original bushland was for dairy cattle.
Granville Municipality was established in 1885. The council continued to manage the local government of the area up until 1948 when it was incorporated into the larger City of Parramatta.
Granville was damaged by flooding at Duck Creek stormwater channel as a result of torrential rains that fell in the area on Anzac Day 1974. The resulting flood caused extensive damage to Granville. Many of the club’s photographs and honor boards were destroyed, and the RSL nearby was also damaged.
Granville also hosts the Granville railway accident, which took place on 18 January 1977. A commuter train that was heading towards Bold Street overpass got off-track and struck the staunchion. The bridge collapsed. It was the most severe rail accident in Australian history, resulting in the deaths of 83 people.
Granville is home to a mix of industrial, commercial, and residential developments. Granville railway station and Parramatta Road are the main areas for residential and commercial developments. Granville is dominated by unrendered brick buildings, weatherboard and fibro freestanding buildings. Although Granville is not exactly a quarter-acre block territory, 500 to 600m2 blocks (0.12 to 0.15 acre) are fairly common. Although terraced houses are becoming more common, they are still quite rare. In the vicinity of the railway station, apartment blocks are becoming more frequent. They typically are three to four stories in height.
Hoyts built the Crest building at the corner of Blaxcell Street and Redfern Street in 1948 to serve as a movie theater. It was still used for film screenings until 1963. It is now used for functions. The NSW State Heritage Register now lists the Crest Theatre as having “State significance” because it is one of only a few Australian cinemas built in the 1940s. The building is largely intact both externally and internally.
Granville railway station is a major stop on the T1 Northern and Western Lines and T2 Inner West & Leppington Lines of the Sydney Trains network. These lines are served by services. The station is accessible for wheelchair users. Granville railway station can be found on the Main Suburban train line. Granville’s bus interchange and a car park are both located near the train station. There are also bike racks and lockers nearby. The train station is just south of where you will find taxi ranks.
Granville is home to a major college of Technical and Further Education. It is part of South Western Sydney Institute of TAFE. Granville Boys High School was established in 1926. There are also Granville East Public School, Granville East Public School. Blaxcell Street Public School, Granville East Public School, Granville East Public School, Granville East Public School, Granville East Public School and Holy Family Catholic School. A branch library of Cumberland Council is also located in the suburb.
There are four pubs in the suburb. The Granville Hotel and Royal Hotel are located to the north and south of the railway line, respectively. The Rosehill Hotel can be found on Parramatta Road’s northern side, while the Vauxhall Inn can be found on Granville’s western edge at the corner of Woodville Road. Granville also houses an RSL club, the Granville Diggers.
Granville boasts an Olympic-sized pool and a football field. Granville Rage, a Super Youth League and State Super League club, is located in Historic Garside Park.
The Sydney Speedway, a dirt track speedway measuring 460m (500m), was established in 1977 at Parramatta Speedway’s old Granville Showground. It caters to Sprintcars, and has hosted many of Australia’s most notable drivers.
Granville Magpies Soccer Club entered Sydney in the 1880s. They have continued to compete with distinction up until the 2000s. The original matches were played in a paddock near Hudson Brothers’ Works in Clyde. After that, the club moved to Macarthur Park now known as F. S. Garside Park.