Fun Activities in Holroyd, NSW

image by homely.com.au

Holroyd, NSW can be found 20 km (12 mi) west from the Sydney central business district, in the Cumberland Council’s local government area. Holroyd is located in western Sydney’s Cumberland Council LGA (Granville Ward). A small portion of Holroyd is part of the City of Parramatta Council LGA, Rosehill Ward. It is bordered on the north by the M4 Western Motorway, Church Street, Woodville Road, and the rail line at the east. Neil Street is to the south, and Pitt Street to its west.

The administrative center is located in the nearby Merrylands.

Holroyd shares 2142 as a postcode with the distinct suburbs of Granville South Granville Camellia Rosehill, Granville and South Granville.

Holroyd had 1,275 inhabitants at the 2016 census. 35.7% were born in Australia. India was 9.0%, which is the next most popular country of birth. 27.3% of the population speaks English only at home. Arabic was 8.3%, while 8.3% spoke other languages at home. Most common religion responses were: Islam at 27.2%, Catholic at 18.4%, No Religion at 18.0%, and Hinduism 10.2%.

Arthur Todd Holroyd (1806-1887), acquired Sherwood Scrubs 1855. It is located in Merrylands and was named after Holroyd’s former home in England. Holroyd was elected Member of Parliament for Bathurst Plains and Parramatta. He was also a judge at the NSW Supreme Court. Holroyd had completed a year in London as a medical resident and was an avid businessman. He was respected and influential and served on numerous boards and committees. From 1872-1927, he was the first mayor of Holroyd Council. The Municipality of Prospect & Sherwood had 250 ratepayers during the first nine years. He built clay pipes to drain Sherwood Scrubs, and also introduced drainage to the area. He encouraged the construction of a rail line from Parramatta Junction to his support.

The New South Wales Geographical Names Board created the suburb of Holroyd in 1999 to help define the boundaries of suburbs. Because the Holroyd Council had no specific suburb with the same name, it was forced to create one in order to meet the State Government’s requirements. On 15 October 1999, Holroyd was officially established. Its boundaries were Walpole Street (north), Neil Street (“south”) and the railway line (east). The suburb was also known as Granville West or Merrylands. In 2001, the boundary was changed with the extension of the northern boundary to the M4 Western motorway.

The Holroyd Gardens Development was approved by the City Council on 10 June 1994. The area was once the location of the Goodlet & Smith Brickpit. It was bordered by Neil Street (Pitt Street), Walpole Street (Walpole Street) and the rail line. Holroyd Gardens Estate is a medium density development which includes the heritage brickwork kilns as well as associated buildings.

Silverwater’s Best Activities in NSW

Leave a comment