Carlingford lies 22 km north-west of Sydney’s central business district, in the City of Parramatta local government area. Carlingford can be found in the Hills District or Northern Sydney regions.
Carlingford is located in the middle of three distinct regions of Sydney. It is located in the northern outskirts, or Greater Western Sydney region. It is also on the southern outskirts, of the Hills District. The northern Sydney region includes the section east of Pennant Hills Road. The rest of Carlingford, west of Pennant Hills Road and The Hills District is included.
The Wallumedegal and Wallumattagai were the inhabitants of Carlingford in 1788, when the First Fleet arrived at Port Jackson. They lived in an area bordered by the Parramatta River in south, Lane Cove River east, Parramatta in west, and a range of north for some distance. The Wallumedegal are believed to be part of the Eora language family. The clan name appears to have been derived form wallumai, the snapper fish. It was combined with matta which is a word that is used in association with place’ or ‘waterplace’.
An exploration boat party led by Lieutenant William Bradley and Captain John Hunter spotted evidence of fire-stick burning along the Parramatta River’s northern banks in February 1788. These areas became known as Kissing Point or Meadowbank. The Aboriginals’ burning of grasslands encouraged animals to graze, which made it easier for hunting and gathering. The Blue Gum High Forest was thick and tall around these pastures that backed up to the Carlingford area.
In the 1790s, land grants to the Carlingford region included those to Mobbs, Cox and Arndell. Around 1800, 100 Aboriginals were living near Cox’s Brush Farm at the Carlingford-Eastwood border. The area’s Aboriginal population had declined significantly by 1827.
Officially, the name Carlingford was used on 16 July 1883 to refer to the Mobbs Hill post office. The locality was not defined by any boundaries and had many names prior to 1883. As colonization progressed, the fluidity of district names reflected changes in land use patterns and access.
The district also saw timber getting starting around 1817, with the government convict mill operating until 1830 at Barren Ridges Sawing Establishment (Epping). The timber was transported to the Pennant Hills Wharf, which opened in 1817 at Ermington, on the Parramatta River. Private contractors continued to cut timber into the 20th century. From the 1830s, the Pennant Hills blue-metal quarry at Dundas was still in operation.
The Carlingford Post Office started a public telephone and telegraph line in December 1892. Gas mains were also installed around that time.
In addition to long-standing orchards and nurseries, the number of market gardens and nurseries was increasing. Although Carlingford was still rural, technological changes in the district continued. There were reticulated water mains laid from 1908, establishment Pennant Hills Wireless Telegraphy Station 2 (opened 1935, demolished 1981), and metropolitan water storage reservoir at Mobbs Hill (1916-1934 and 1970). Telephone lines were extended, electric power arrived (1922), and the transition from horse-drawn road transport to motorized. District roads were sealed and sewrage was introduced. The installation of a public drinking water fountain at Mobbs Hill in 1911 was a sign of modernity and progress. It was removed in 1929 because it was a danger to motorized traffic. The Mobbs Hill Mechanics Institute and Memorial Hall was designed by Lord Livingstone Ramsay (a Sydney architect who was also a Carlingford resident) and was the center of many social events as well as political rallies, fetes, and school activities.
The Dalmar Children’s Homes were established on 15 acres (61,000m2) of land by the Wesley Central Mission/ City Central Methodist Mission in the eastern part of the suburb. It eventually included many cottages as well as a hospital, orchard, and vegetable gardens. This land now houses the Alan Walker Retirement Village.
Since the 1920s, the suburb was home to several homes for kids run by the Anglican Diiocese of Sydney: the Church of England Boys’ Home, Church of England Girls’ Home and the Havilah Children’s Home. Tress Manning Temporary Care and Field Cottage were also located there. Since then, the land owned by these homes has been used for housing. Street names like Trigg, Marella and Carramar as well as Buckland, Buckland, and Lisgar reflect the names of the individual houses or Anglican Home Mission Society service providers. Now, the Boys’ Home grounds and buildings are the regional base and Sydney Australia Temple ofThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The girls’ home property is located in the south suburb and has been transformed into Anglicare’s Kingsdene Special School, which caters to severely intellectually disabled children.
After World War II, Carlingford experienced rapid urbanization. The 1959 establishment of James Ruse Agricultural High School is a testament both to Carlingford’s agricultural history and the rapid pace at which urbanization took place. It soon became an anomaly in the midst of the sprawling suburb’s 1970s and 1980s housing. Upper-end housing followed shortly after James Ruse. Carlingford’s Calinda Manse is an example of this type, which has nine bedrooms. In the 1990s, government policies of urban consolidation led to the construction of high-density apartments and blocks of flats around the station and town centre. Older houses have been converted into townhouses and duplexes.
The HMS K13 memorial was first unveiled in 1961. It is a prominent landmark in Carlingford and is used daily by thousands of motorists on Pennant Hills Road.
On a former orchard site and nursery, the Carlingford Village was the first large shopping mall to open in 1965. It was renamed Carlingford Court after it underwent redevelopment in 1970. The centre was redeveloped several times in the late 1990s. Further changes were made when the Myer departmental store closed its doors on 31 March 2006. The houses and shops of the 19th and 20th centuries at Mobbs Hill’s corner of Pennant Hills, Marsden Roads and Mobbs Hill were destroyed in 1970s. “The Orchard”, a shopping center, was built on the site. It was later renamed Carlingford Village.
The district’s rural appearance has been largely lost to rapid urbanization, subdivision, population growth, and the advent of car-clogged roads have all changed the landscape.
Pennant Hills Road is the main shopping area in Carlingford.
Many residents of Carlingford have limited access to public transport. This is evident in low patronage from commuters. According to the 2011 census, 18.1% commuted by public transport to work while 64.1% used their car as a passenger or driver.
The M2 Hills Motorway is part of the Sydney orbital road and runs through northern Carlingford. It provides a route to North Sydney and the city. The Cumberland Highway has been replaced by the Westlink M7 Motorway as the north-south highway since it was completed, completing the Sydney Orbital.
The Carlingford area to the east and north of Pennant Hills Roads, is mainly built in the post-World War II years. An area of streets is named after famous battles in North Africa.
There are many bus routes that run through Carlingford. There are three major bus stops in Carlingford: Carlingford Court Shopping Centre and Carlingford Railway Station. Oakes Road M2 is also a bus stop.